Sunday, June 19, 2011

Our Heroes . . .

Again, taking a departure from the expected what's-happening-in-Africa blog post to write about what's on our hearts. After all, it's our blog. ;-)


Let me (Amy) tell you about my hero, and then it's Howie's turn. 


A lot of people know Dave Talbott. Many of you reading this already know him, so you know that he is an accomplished concert pianist, an amazing writer and editor, a programmer, a visionary, a minister, a mentor, a comedian, and a master of homemade popcorn. He is strong when he needs to be, loving, compassionate, and gentle as any man ever could be. He is a devoted husband, and I think it's safe to say, one of the best fathers ever. You could argue, but you'd lose. 


Growing up I always knew my Dad loved me. Always. He was never afraid to tell us, show us, and remind us over and over that he loved us. Even in our awkward teenage years when we pushed him away and didn't want to open up, he never backed down . . . a "constant" in a sea of icky girl-hormones. 


He supported me through every stage of my life, and I think it might mean the most to me now. I'm old enough to know that a Dad like this is rare. I know enough people now to know that not everyone had what I had . . . what I have


Happy Father's Day, Daddy. I don't like being 9,436 miles away from you on this day or any day, but I hope you feel loved and honored today.






From Howie:
How do you honor your hero, your mentor, your role-model in 500 words or less? You don't!  What you do is express how much you love him for teaching you how to be a man.  How to love your wife, how to love your children, how to sacrifice your own desires for the everyone else.  


In a world that is focused on getting ahead at the cost of others, my dad taught me that it is better to be loving, caring and compassionate than rich, powerful or arrogant.  He was always patient with me, even when I pushed him so far that he would be justified in losing his cool.  He never did though; he was always loving.   


There are too many lessons I've learned to mention here but suffice it to say I wouldn't be able to throw a football or baseball, make a fire, use a chainsaw, balance a checkbook or manage a family without the influence and guidance of my dad.


Dad, I love you and I thank you for setting a great example to follow.  You are and have always been my hero. I continue to look to you for advice and direction in so many areas of my life.  Happy Father's Day to the GREATEST DAD EVER!  I love you and miss you and want you to know that you continue to influence me even on the other side of the world.











1 comment: