Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Happy Birthday Nuna!

On a lovely summer day, June 7, 1919, Eunice Arlena Smith was born. 
With one big brother, she would soon be the big sister of 7 more siblings.
She has been a loving daughter, sister, mother, aunt, grandmother, 
friend and mentor, and she is my hero.

Eunice & Carl Petersen with Carla, Candace & Scott
She doesn't remember me anymore, 
and this fact drives me to tears every time I think of it. 
But what matters is that I remember her. 
I remember everything . . . the smell of her house, her kitchen, her bread baking;
the feel of her hands squeezing me tight and her voice calling me "punkin" and telling me she loves me.


Making hand-dipped chocolates together, 
waking up in her house every Christmas morning of my childhood,
taking walks, talking, cleaning, working in the garden--
all of my memories of her are sweet. 
She was always hospitable, always gracious. 
She fed the poor, helped the needy, and welcomed everyone. 
She raised 3 amazing children, worked, cooked, cleaned, and loved.
Today she is 92. 
She doesn't remember much, doesn't do much, and doesn't say much,
but she has left a beautiful impression on everything her hands have touched.
Happy Birthday Nuna. I love you to the moon and back. 


My sister Carrie, my Nuna and me. Summer, 2009

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love her!! She is amazing. She has always been so sweet to everyone. She's part of such an amazing family! I only wish I could have met her mom (my grandma). These photos are beautiful. I love that you posted this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sweet memories. Nuna is a gem.

    ReplyDelete