Monday, March 21, 2011

Robbed

I need to write about what happened today. Writing is cathartic. It brings me to contemplation, prayer, and ultimately a deep dependence on God. Yet no matter how much I've tried to articulate my emotions about today, I can't seem to muster anything. I feel numb. 


How do I relay my experience today caring for a 14-year-old girl who has been beaten & whipped so badly that we had to offer 1st aid on lashes that she received a week ago? 


I can't sit here in my living room and offer a well-packaged story. 


I can tell you that as she laid face down on the bed and I, with gloved hands, picked apart her dirty, infected wounds to clean and re-bandage them, that I felt her cries settle like a pit in my stomach. Her ache made me ache. Her tears brought my tears. Her childhood has been stolen from her, and has been replaced with a shadow of a life wrought by emotional, physical and psychological abuse. She is not a teenage girl; she has been robbed of that. She does not feel safe; she has been robbed of that. She is not innocent; she has been robbed of that. She is not happy; she has been robbed of that too. 


The only thing she cannot be robbed of is God's love. "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 8:38-39. 


That verse is the ultimate comfort after what I witnessed today. She may have been beaten and abused, but God's love can transcend anything. I tried to hug her and she was stiff, but God's love can penetrate even the most hardened hearts.  


I will go back there tomorrow morning to see her, give her a pregnancy test (along with 15 other girls who will get tested tomorrow), and later, an HIV test. I will check on her wounds, and be available to help. But ultimately, I'm just a vessel. I pray that Jesus would shine through me, and that she would experience a Love that is unfounded on this earth; a Love that transcends space, time, circumstance, and evil. I pray that this sweet little girl, who has been forced to grow up way too fast, would come to know the Savior who can heal, restore, and LOVE. 


-Written by Amy-

7 comments:

  1. Sending you our love. Wish I could hold your hand and we could cry together. We are beside you in spirit and so touched by all you are doing and experiencing. XOXO CoCo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you as you minister to this young girl. May she and the others know the ONE who has come "to bind up the brokenhearted"..as only HE can... and is using YOU to translate that love and binding thru your compassion and aide. Love to you from your Arizona supporters.
    Lori and Scott Morgan / SoZo Community

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your heart...as you process through what you saw and felt today...and as you hold your breath tomorrow waiting for test results.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy--Although we cannot be there to hug you and pray with you in the flesh, God's Spirit binds us together and we feel your agony and empathy for this precious girl. You will have scores of pray-ers going to the Father for her...and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your in our thoughts and prayers!! We keep your post card on our fridge and are praying for you often. Thank you for sharing these stories. Definetly touches my heart and makes you take a look inside and count all the blessings around you. We know these girls are feeling God's love through you. May God give you strength to do this amazing work!! Love you guys!!! Claxton's

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh amy...it's nearly impossible not to cry along side of you reading what you endured caring for this young girl. A friend of mine told me that her pastor's wife went on a missions trip and while there, the sights she saw of poverty and pain sat so deep in her heart that at one point she was stricken with so much emotion she could hardly move...that God allowed her to feel an ounce of the pain she saw around her. She sobbed and cried out to Jesus. I imagine the depth of emotion you felt for this young girl was overwhelming, just like it was for my friend's pastor's wife. I am praying for her and for all of you. Biggest ((Hugs)). Tiff and Dorian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless you, Small Fry. I love you from miles away

    ReplyDelete