Wednesday, March 9, 2011

AdJuStMeNt


Our first 4 days here have been a whirlwind of excitement, jet lag, tears, joy, beauty, shock, exhaustion, homesickness, and major adjustment.

I feel like I’m the embodiment of the verse, “the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” I’ve been a bit disappointed in myself since we got here. I thought I could handle this better. I thought I would be a “trooper”. I thought I would be brave. I had hoped that when something happened like two nights ago—the electricity went out and I heard mosquitoes buzzing around my face and I was hot and tired and couldn’t sleep—that I wouldn’t break down in tears and long for the comforts and convenience of home: electricity, air conditioning, the ability to open a window for fresh air without wondering if it would result in malaria. 

God has allowed me to see so much weakness, pride, and entitlement in my flesh. He has opened my eyes to how much I’ve really taken for granted, and to how much I’m truly desperate for Him every moment of the day and night.

I’m not miserable. I’m actually happy to be here because I know that it’s where God wants me.  It’s so beautiful here, and my kids love it. Today Mya told me that she wants to live in Africa forever. In the midst of the adjustments and homesickness, I’ve had moments of joy and peace, and I’ve felt God’s presence every step of the way. 

This is a picture of Howie and the kids at the great Rift Valley lookout. This was a little stop we made on our way to Kitale from Nairobi. This is also where little Howie bought his first machete. I'm so proud. -Amy


2 comments:

  1. Love you Amy! So many adjustments to come and I am so glad you are sharing it with us. This is NOT easy and if it was, everyone would be doing it right? Your family was CALLED and in those silent times of mosquitos, you will hear HIS voice. Sometimes that may be your children because He knows how and when you need to here Him remind you of why you were called! We love you so much and we are right there with you. Thank you for keeping us up to date on your journey. What a joy it is to be part of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Amy, you can cry. It just means you are adjusting and growing. I recently heard a story from a woman we know who has just moved to Uganda. It was honest and real about her hard 2 weeks of adjusting, even questioning if she was suppose to be there. Here is the link if you are interested http://moonvalleybible.org/sermons.php Growing definitely comes with its growing pains. Thank you for serving our God and our family! Thank you also for sharing your story!!!

    ReplyDelete