Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thankful

We just spent an amazing Thanksgiving weekend with my family in Porvenir, Baja, Mexico, where my sister and her husband run Ventana Ministries.  My parents were there too, and the 12 of us had a great weekend talking, eating, cooking, eating, walking, riding the dune buggy, and eating. We also ate.

I suppose some people might think we're crazy to love it there. It's cold, and dirty. There's poverty--right in your face. There's loud music when you don't expect it, and loud firecrackers for no good reason. But we love the town, the people, the pace, the interaction, and the ministry that is going on. And mostly, we love our family.  We've been so blessed to be related to people that we don't just tolerate. We actually like them. For me, this trip solidified my desire to be on the mission field. It gave me the fortitude to press on, continue in the direction God has pointed us, and to have faith that God always keeps all of His promises.

I was reminded of the things I'm thankful for this weekend, but they're not things.

Micah and Howie got the turkey legs. 

Mya, Isaiah, Kenya & Brock at the "kids table". 

Big kid table

Mom & Dad with the beautiful turkey (we cooked 2!)

At the park in Ensenada on Howie's 11th b-day
For more information on Doug & Carrie's incredible ministry in Porvenir, visit www.ventanaministries.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment