Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mountains

This morning I was driving with 3 of my 4 children in the backseat. I'm sick, but I'm going to work anyway, and my oldest is sick so instead of going to school, he has to come to work with me. Ah, the life of a "single" mom. Don't know how you do it, those of you who don't have the promise of a husband coming home in a few days.

So I'm driving, consumed with myself. I'm sick, I'm tired, I'm alone, and I'm headed to work. And then there are the questions about money, insurance, money, house sale, money, moving, on and on through my brain. I give everything to the Lord again, this time verbally: "Lord, it's yours, take it all. I don't want it. I just want to serve you." There. I said it again. And I meant it. But, somewhere deep inside, I'm still thinking, God, this isn't going well. I don't see how on earth everything is going to get done, how the money is going to come in.  Mind racing . . . thoughts stirring . . . unnecessary worry . . . and then, a yell from the backseat, "MOM!!!  The mountains are moving!"

"Yes, Isaiah, the mountains are moving," I reply in monotone. But I'm distracted for long enough to stop my internal debate over whether or not we'll starve in the month of December to actually pay attention. As adults, we don't really notice that when you drive somewhere with mountains in the distance, and trees in between you and the mountains, it can look as though the mountains are sailing in the opposite direction. Of course they're not though. Mountains don't move. Everyone knows that.  I was just about to correct my silly 5-year-old when I felt God nudging me: shut up and listen to your son.  Ok, God didn't really tell me to shut up, but I'm sure that most days that would be the appropriate thing for Him to say to me.

So I listened. The mountains are moving. Isaiah was sure of it. And he was excited about it.

For a moment this morning, I had forgotten, between having a NyQuil hangover and feeling sorry for myself, that God does, indeed move mountains. In Matthew 17, Jesus' disciples were having some trouble, and wondering why they couldn't accomplish a certain task. Jesus replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." So. Little. Faith.

I serve a big God. I mean, big. But there are days when I reduce my God of the Universe to a finite, small, limited being. But he's not limited. He can part seas. Move mountains. Love unconditionally. Save  lives.  I'm humbled by God's love and provision, and ashamed of the days that I forget, even for a moment, that God is God, and I'm not.  But most of all, today I'm grateful that God used my precious son to shout to me, "The mountains are moving!!"

10 comments:

  1. So good. I love when God uses our kids to teach us such important lessons! Praying for you guys. Can't wait to see God move mountains for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy you are awesome!!! Miss you and promise to pray for you! Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I love you and miss you. All will be supplied, but remember God has a time for doing things, and patience is a virtue. Call me soon? I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm praying that more than mountains move.I'm praying an ocean of blessing will wash over the Biemeck home.

    Hugs from Uncle Corky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of the mouths of babes! I get smacked in the face with little children's amazing "faith" comments daily. God is amazing how he uses those words from sweet children. They don't even understand how profound the words they say truly are. I love you dear friend. It was so good to talk with you today. I am praying for you, lil' How and big How!~ two more days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so good to be reminded by our kids how big our God is. When I was diagnosed with cancer, we were talking to Zach trying to explain(uncertain, scared & fearing the worst) and he looked at us and just said matter of factly, "we just have to pray, God answers our prayers!" He was right and so was your little guy! God does move mountains, if we ask Him too! :)We are praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you guys and miss you so much! You know we are praying for you always! Yes, it seems our children always are the ones to bring us right where we need to be in our faith! God is so BIG and He always knows just where, when and how we need to hear Him! Can't wait to see all the mountains He will continue to move in and througout your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paypal link? Would love to start supporting you guys... okay so our little donation won't really make a huge difference, but perhaps with all the others out there who love you we can help... and I don't care if it goes to pay your grocery bill before you leave or the telephone or whatever else... all that is in preparation for the great ministry ahead. XOXO, CoCo and Crew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another reason why I need some kids in my life! Don't you just love it when God gives us a figurative smack upside the head?! Way to go Isaiah!! I'll keep praying that the molehills and the Everests are moved in your life daily!!! Love you MOST Loop

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally, totally remember these days: the days when you feel like nothing is going according to plan...and then God reminds you that everything is going exactly according to HIS plan...

    I'm praying for you guys...tons.

    I can't wait to follow this journey you are on...and come visit in Kitale!

    ReplyDelete