Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Scouting trip

So Howie is off to Kitale, Kenya tomorrow, on his birthday. And I . . . well, I'm not.  I was originally going to go with him on this "scouting trip" to Kenya before we actually move there, but life with a job and 4 children just did not permit. So, I am again trusting God. And, I'm trusting my husband to provide me with the answers to the 47 questions I asked him regarding the house we'll be living in, our new ministries, surrounding stores, and if there's someone there who can dread my hair.

Going too fast?  Ok, let me back up a few months.

* Howie has been feeling a call out of youth ministry and into overseas missions.
* I second that
* We decide to "wait on the Lord", and let God know that we're available.
* God quickly took us up on our offer to follow Him "anywhere".
* Fast forward to today: no job, no insurance, little money, and waiting on the Lord's perfect timing to move our family to Kitale, Kenya to serve Him in several different capacities.

The result of this major, stressful, sleep-deprived upheaval?  Peace. Total peace. Yes, it's still stressful. We're short-selling our house. We're taking our children from the only home and school they've ever known. We're selling 80% of our personal belongings. We have to say goodbye to friends and family. Our marriage is tested everyday. Children are extra obnoxious when we're on the phone trying to negotiate bills, payments, and the last few dentist appointments. But still . . . peace.

When Jesus was getting ready to leave this earth, he reassured his disciples, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (Jn. 14:27)  So, we're not.

I'm clinging to these verses as Howie gets on the plane tomorrow. I'm putting on a brave face to pretend like I can totally handle being a single mom of 4 for the next 10 days, AND continue to get our family prepared to move. I got this. Okay, not really. But I've got peace.

3 comments:

  1. Two friends from church just took similar leaps. Adam, after a short-term missions trip to Ethiopia, quit his job at Aetna, sold all his belongings, and moved to Addis Ababa to work with street boys. That was a year ago. Cori, likewise after a short-term missions trip to Bangkok, felt called to return permanently and work helping girls come out of the sex trade. Huge steps for them. Huge step for you. God still calls. His followers still listen. Praying for you and your family, Amy. And...Kenya is beautiful. You'll love that part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing adventure! Being a servant of Christ is certainly not boring! :-) I am excited to partner with your family in prayer and see the miraculous works that God will do through your family. I will pray for extra strength for you while Howie is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOOOO proud to know you 6. I am excited to see how God puts each piece together. You are so faithful and I am blessed everyday to witness your acts of love and faith to your heavenly father. And, I can't wait to see you in Africa!

    ReplyDelete