Sunday, October 30, 2011

My Favorite Family

Maybe I'm not supposed to have a favorite, but I can't help it. I've been wanting to write about this family for months. There are 4 children who have captured the hearts of almost every person who has visited our compound: Elizabeth, Hezekiah, Dan & Esther. I absolutely adore them. 


These children live right down the street from us in a one room mud hut. They live with their mom Agnetta, and until recently, their dad. I'm told their dad has moved to Eldoret, which is about a one-hour drive away. We don't know if he has left them, or if he is just there working to get money to support them. This family literally has NOTHING, but they are always ready to greet us with big hugs and smiles. Whenever we visit, the kids usually just run and scream, with varied versions of tag/tackle/tickle. 


Buddies: Kenya, Elizabeth, Mya, Isaiah & Hezekiah
I did a home visit at their home last summer with a local social worker and one of our students, Bridget. We talked to them about their most immediate needs, and tried to educate them on the importance of washing as often as possible to avoid spreading disease and illness. The mother was receptive, but very quiet. Then Bridget and I went back and took soap, bathed the children, and put new clothes on them. They loved it. 


Elizabeth in a new shirt from Kenya's closet. 

Bridget giving Dan his bath. He was freeeeeeezing, but he never stopped smiling. 

Elizabeth sporting her whole new outfit.

Esther in her new shirt from Mya, with her mommy, Agnetta

Dan & Hezekiah after their baths, in their new clothes.
We found out a few weeks after that initial visit that Agnetta is pregnant with her 5th child. Here's what we're told about their ages: Agnetta is about 23. Elizabeth is 8, Hezekiah is 4, Dan is 3 and Esther is 1. As I type, baby #5 is due. I just saw Agnetta today and she looked like she was harboring a beach ball under her dress. 


I remember feeling overwhelmed when I was having my 4th child. I already had three to take care of, and it was a lot. BUT, I had running water. And food. And a washing machine and dryer. And diapers and wipes. And friends offering to help. And a loving husband who took on most of the work when the baby was born. 


What do you do when your husband is gone, you are due any day with your 5th child, you have no food, no diapers, and only running water on certain days? 


I'm dumbfounded. How can this be ok? How is it fair? Why did I have it so easy, and Agnetta has such an immeasurably hard life? Why are my children clean and well fed and her children are filthy and always hungry? Why do I have a husband who loves me and provides for our family, and she has a husband who abandoned her?


These questions will plague me for the rest of my life. I can't save them. I can't change anything for them long-term. But if I want to live my life in service to people, without constant feelings of hopelessness, then I have to trust that God's hand is on them. I have to trust in God's grace. I have to trust that the Creator of the Universe will have His Glory.

"I know that the Lord secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy." Psalm 140:12

I will continue to help them and visit them until our return to the States, at which time my heart will break in two. Will you pray for this precious family with me? I will put out an update when the new baby arrives! 

Thanks for reading. 
For Him, 
Amy





1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful family, Amy. What a privilege it must be to be the hands and feet of Christ to them during this time.
    The questions you ask are so, so hard. I believe, with you, that God loves them and is with them, even in their circumstances. But it must be so heartbreaking and overwhelming to be there and to see their pain and hardships.
    I am praying for them and for you all. xo

    ReplyDelete