Monday, August 22, 2011

Normal

Things I'm Used To That I Wasn't Used To 6 Months Ago:
  • Driving on the left side of the road (I'm pretty good now).
  • Being honked at (people here do it as a warning signal--most aren't angry or suffering from road rage). 
  • Making small-talk in Swahili (I'm not good, but learning).
  • Not owning a T.V. 
  • Flipping on the hot water switch before I get in the shower.
  • Sleeping under a mosquito net.
  • Being called "Mama Kenya". It's common for children to call a woman "Mama" and the name of their child. In America a child might say to me, "Hi Kenya's mom!"  Here, they say "Mama Kenya", because out of all 4 of my children, Kenya was the first name they could all remember (go figure). So to at least a hundred children in Kitale, I'm "Mama Kenya". Kinda makes me sound like the mother of the whole country.
  • African greetings: usually a handshake for men, even if I just saw them yesterday, and a handshake and double-hug for women, starting on the right and then on the left. This is a source of a lot of head-butts and inadvertent kisses for first-timers. 
  • Losing electricity on a regular basis; usually several times a week, sometimes for over 24-hours. 
  • Having dirty--no, filthy--children most of the time.  
  • Wearing "crunchy" clothes (if you've ever hand-washed and line-dried then you know what I'm talking about).
  • Bed bug bites. I wish this weren't true, but these little devils are hard to get rid of, and I'm kinda used to the itching now. 
Mya's little leg, after being eaten alive. 

  • Mosquito bites. We thank God that only one member of our family has had malaria so far--just Little How! :-( 
  • Chapatti, green grams & rice -- the Dinner of Champions.
  • Unrefrigerated milk.
  • Unrefrigerated eggs.
  • Cheddar cheese that smells like feet.
  • Buying things in the store that are already expired--only to find out once I'm home.
  • Haggling for prices on produce. 
  • Street children--most high on glue--running to see us when we get to town.
  • People begging for food or money almost anywhere we go in town.
  • People assuming I'm rich because I'm caucasian. (I'm used to it, but I don't like it!)
  • Having "Mzungu!!" yelled at me. (Mzungu means white person, and is used for almost anyone who is not black, whether they're European, Mexican, Asian . . . )
  • The sounds of some crazy tropical birds in our trees . . . some sound like monkeys. 
  • Brushing my teeth with bottled water. Ok I'll be honest, that only lasted a month, but I still make my kids do it. 
  • The metric system. Still learning, but it is a better system--sorry America.
  • High-altitude baking. 
  • Hangin' out with monkeys.
Howie and his little friend hangin' out at the Kitale Club

      1 comment:

      1. We just love you guys so much! Thank you for sharing with us what others like us "white folks" just can't understand being out their as God has called you! You are a beautiful family and we apologize for telling you over and over again how you are showing us every time you post what being called means and what you and your children have to sacrifice so that you can bring Truth to everyone over there and here in the States. God bless all of you!

        ReplyDelete