Saturday, July 9, 2011

T.I.A.

Today has been a big day, and it's only noon. We woke up to (still) no electricity, which marked 24 hours without it.  Not normally a big deal--we're without electricity almost everyday for anywhere from 4 minutes to 4 or 5 hours, but it's usually not a lot longer than that. Thanks to the generous donations of some very good friends, we were able to purchase a generator which has been a big blessing. However, the generator only pumps electricity to the main house, and the water pump that feeds our water tanks is at the other house. That means that after 24 hours with no water pumping to our house, we also woke up with no water. That means no showers. No toilets. No dishes. Well, we still had to do dishes, but we had to carry water jugs over from the other house to pour into the sink.  


My first thought?! Ahhhhhhhh!! Frustration. It's Mya's birthday today. I'm trying to make cakes. The oven works with the generator, but doesn't get as hot, so the cakes take twice as long and are soft inside and dark on the outside. I have 34 people here to make lunch and dinner for. We're having a party and I haven't showered in 2 days. (Trust me, I've gone longer, but I'd prefer not to). So yeah, frustration. 


We have a saying here: T.I.A. This Is Africa. Stuff happens. Stuff doesn't work. Stuff is hard. For me, saying "T.I.A." helps me to remember how blessed I really am. Part of our group is visiting Shimo La Tewa as I type this waiting for my cake to burn. I mean bake. They are walking around in a slum where there are hundreds of children, most who have never had a birthday party. Some don't even know when they were born. Most of them have probably never tasted a cake. Their moms can't make them pink frosting. They don't have streamers hanging up. They won't get presents. 


Having no water and no electricity is a bummer for people who weren't raised in a 3rd-world country, but here, it's normal. It's life. This is Africa. And I love it here. Being here has already taught me so much. It's not about me. It's not about what I don't have, it's about what I do have.  It's about seeing God's provision in every circumstance, and always having a heart of praise and gratitude. 


My timer just said "ding!" The second cake is done. I have to go finish the chocolate frosting. My healthy baby girl is 4 years old today. I couldn't be more thankful. And oh yeah, the power just came back on and water is pumping to the kitchen. God is good . . . always. 

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birtday. Mya!!! I'll pray the water and electricity stays on. And Yes, He is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me cry Amy. Thank you for reminding me to start my day grateful for what I have. Not materialistic things but the necessities in life... Christ, shelter, love, food and good friends like you guys. Love you and miss your face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Maya! Yes, I am also crying along with Linda. You are a blessing to all of us and it still reminds us of how precious life is and what we all take for granted. We are in awe of our awesome God and how He is displayed in your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy~Nothing like Africa to humble a person. I love you for so many reasons, too many to count. But, today I love your honesty and your insight. I love you my dear friend and miss you like no other! I am praying for you daily. Denise

    ReplyDelete