Friday, May 6, 2011

School Daze

My children have been on vacaction since we arrived here in Kenya, which has been almost exactly 2 months. We came with no plans . . . no curriculum, no teacher, no idea what we were going to do to educate our children. I know, I know--nice planning on my part. We actually had a small notion that we might attempt to put our children into a local academy here, but I quickly dismissed that idea when we arrived (for various reasons that aren't important), opting instead to venture into the dark, scary, overwhelming and misunderstood world of home schooling. 


So, I'm going to teach my children. At home. Me. Except, I'm not a teacher. And we have a very small home that we share with 6 college students and 3 Rwandans. Oh, and also, I have no curriculum. Also, I have other ministry obligations that I need to fulfill during the day. Also, I have to cook and clean. And oh yeah, did I mention that my children are TOTALLY resistant to learning from me? Sassy, whiney, compaining, frustrated, irritable . . . and so are the kids.  So after a few weeks of contemplating, praying, planning, and attempting to give a few placement tests to the kids, I've decided to give up. 


I have numerous friends and family members who are amazing home school moms. They teach their children diligently everyday. Their children are wonderful, bright, educated, and happy. I can hear all of those women in my head: "Amy, you could do it! You'd be great! I'll help you! It's not that hard!" To those sentiments, I would say, you're too kind, and mostly wrong. 


After a lot of prayer and research, Howie and I have (mostly) decided to enroll our children in Greenfield Academy in Kitale. Just writing those words makes my heart speed up, but there it is. We've taken the kids there for a tour, and they all seem mostly excited. It's a good school with nice teachers, good curriculum, and very sweet kids. I NEVER thought I would put my children in a school in a 3rd-world country, but here I am . . . feeling like my options are limited, my well is dry, and my heart is trusting that God has better plans for my children than I know, and that He will take care of them every moment of the day. I mean, you can't die from going to a new school, right?!


Do I feel like a failure? Yeah, a little. I wish I had the time, direction, space, desire, temperment and know-how to teach my own children. I wish I was one of "those" moms who I envy for being so great at, well, everything. I'm not. 


So here I am, getting ready to enroll our children in a school that will possibly be the biggest adjustment and change that they've ever experienced. But we're trusting God. We'd love to have your prayers. Pray for peace for me, Howie and the kids. Pray that God would allow them a ridiculously cool experience as they meet new friends, learn, grow, and are stretched. 


Did I mention that there were monkeys on the roof of the school when we toured? They don't have that in America!

6 comments:

  1. makes my heart happy to hear about the updates and what God is doing. I am so blessed by you journey and your encouraging words. Love and miss you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I am reading this last post and praying for you all as I read it. Then I get to the bottom.....so I am laughing Amy! MONKEYS!!!!! You crack me up! OK, I am still laughing as I type this. The homeschool thing....well I can't think of a better curriculum than being there in Africa. As many times as we have heard and been told there are seasons in our lives. This is a HUGE season right? I know you are nervous, I can hear your voice as you type this post. He has you and the kids right where He has you and all of you are in for some BIG changes and have seen God working in you and the kids since you got there. What an exciting and yes scary journey but God's got it!
    We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - God is using this as another opportunity to once again (we need to do it over and over as we are slow learners!) TRUST Him. Praying Jeremiah 29:11 over you and your kids and expectantly waiting for our BIG GOD to move His hand and blow you away with His plans! May you feel His peace, protection and most of all His love as you are serving Him in such incredible obedience!! Love you guys - HUGS from AZ ....Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy you know, KNOW, that the moms you envy, envy you, right? It might be possible to look like you have it all together but lets be honest, the meat of it all is hiding in the kitchen junk drawer!

    I have been enjoying reading all about your adventures since Trish Doran clued me in to where Kenya had disappeared to. Please tell her Emory says "Hi". Em loves hearing all about you all and was quite moved by the shoe fundraiser. Keep blogging and keep letting us know what you and yours not just need but could just really use. I hope one day I am as brave as you all!

    Tig Vens

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing a great job amy! I agree with The Smith Family's comment, and couldn't think of a better curriculum than the awesome life experience you've given your children. And they will learn more than reading, writing, and math. they will learn a compassion and empathy that will have exceeded the boundaries of 1st world education limitations. They will learn to look at life with world perspective, which is grossly lacking from many of the kids I encounter in my own class room. They will grow up living out, daily, God's mission to his people. An education like that is so rich, and yes costly.., I don't discount the costs (and it doesn't sound like you have).., but doubtless the benefits far outweigh them. Be encouraged; my prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy,
    Your kids will be fine...great, actually! You're not giving up, you're adding to their life experiences! Kids learn from their parents...and you and Howie are wonderful parents. Education at Greenfield Academy is going to be a bonus! I pray for you all daily. Love and miss you, Erin

    ReplyDelete