Sunday, January 23, 2011

So Long . . .

To a small extent, there's a grieving process that goes along with any permanent loss.  People lose homes, spouses, and cell phones. Parents lose children, children lose their parents and grandparents. Loss can be agonizing and gut-wrenching, and so I don't think "a loss is a loss". The loss of my unborn babies was agonizing; this weekend was just interesting. I think the kind of loss I'm experiencing is maybe even a little bit healthy. I'm processing the loss of my stuff. Poor me, I know. Just let me process.


This weekend we had a very successful garage sale. My amazing sister drove all the way from Mexico to help us empty our home of the non-necessities and try to get people to pay top dollar for our old candle holders, picture frames and decorative plates. It's just stuff, but it was the frame that held my son's baby picture, and candle holder I used to burn a candle the night my daughter was born. It was the plates my mom gave me to decorate my new kitchen. I sold a painting today that a very dear friend gave me when I was newly married. 


The memories attached to all this "stuff" are precious to me. But there was freedom in letting them go. I know I don't have to keep the stuff to keep the memories. 


There was also the stuff that I just really liked. A really cool table that I didn't want to sell, and other stuff that was just cute. I think we can get so attached to our homes and cars and things, that our identity begins to take root in all the stuff around us, instead of where it's supposed to be. I don't want my identity to be in the cuteness of my kitchen or the sleekness of my leather couches. I want my identity to be in Christ. When people think of me, I don't want images of what I drive or of where I live to be what's pictured. I want people to see Jesus. 


This weekend, freeing myself of things that I feel have defined me was indeed, freeing. This isn't an easy process, but God is so faithful every moment. 

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Matthew 6:19-21


7 comments:

  1. Amy, this post seriously made me cry! I'm not sure if it's my pathetic female hormones or Tim Hughes' dramatic song playing in the background, but I'm seriously emotional haha I really miss seeing you guys! I think we should have a poker night but make it a Biemeck fundraiser event :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good post, amy. praying for you guys and knowing so well what that letting go feels like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww.. hugs to you, Amy! I'm so sorry. I look around my house sometimes hoping for a reason to sell so much "stuff" I accumulate. I think everyone should read this and think about what is most important. Because, when we're gone, all it is - is stuff! I think that doing this and investing in His Kingdom is the focus here, and even though you are doing that, I am glad you have those to "grieve" with you. You've got one awesome sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN!!!! We love you guys and pray that you continue to be molded and shaped. This is the hard process and only a few are selected or willing to accept it and willing to let go!
    Just watch and see what He will do! Excited to join you and follow in your journey.
    Randy, Cathleen, Lauren and Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, my eyes well up with happy tears and my heart swells with excitement for the things that lie ahead for you each. The thrill of obedient living!!!! Be blessed friend, our prayers and support will follow and cover you. Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...that was an awesome post... so excited for you and boy could I relate... it is so hard...we love our stuff eh? Even as believers...we so thinnk "oh cute purse, lovely house, and covet at times what others have...but that thought of what do we want others to see when they see us?" Of course I have heard it and thought it before but it so struck a cord.
    Praying for you all.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete